Thursday, August 28, 2008

Water We Gonna Do?

Before:

After:

No, I do not have the before and after pictures reversed. This is what my basement looks like after some water found its way in. Actually the after picture is on the opposite wall so all the home entertainment stuff and my drums are still safe and sound on the other side.

Clogged gutters, foundation graded poorly whatever the cause, it resulted in my tearing the entire wall down to see what was going on. Evidently the buffoon who lived here prior had some water issues with this wall based on his attempt to paint over some cracks. Also had some W's and D's written on the walls between the studs. Liz figured the W = Wet and the D = Dry, which made sense since all of the W's were on the patched (right) side.

I have cleared the gutters and will be installing some gutter guards followed by some back breaking digging to fix the grading (slope) at the foundation. After I finish the outside I can move back inside to fix all the drywall, drop ceiling, carpet padding,... I tore out. All this just in time for football season!

I did get some more drywalling experience last weekend when I drywalled the garage.
Still have some sanding and painting to do.....

Maybe someday I can get my own 'This Old House' tv show and show people how to fix things with the wrong or borrowed tools and 8 trips to the Home Depot.

No comments: